Montag, 22. Februar 2016

Modena Resin Clay - Clay Review


Hey guys, in this post I'll show you the resin clay "Modena" from the Japanese company "Padico".

General information's:
Modena is a air dry resin clay, which is really soft and stretchy. The consistency is similar to cold porcelain and it also needs about 2-3 days to dry (it depends on the thickness of your pieces).
After the drying process, the clay is translucent, still a bit flexible and hard to break. The surface has a matt shine and it's non-yellowing. Modena is also durable enough to resist water.
Dry clay pieces can be modified with paints (acrylic paints), glue and/or varnish.

Modena is available in two sizes - 250g and 60g. The bigger package is only obtainable in the color white, but you can get the smaller ones in a wide range color selection - black,
blue, brown, green, red, white, yellow and yellow ochre.
It's suitable for fake flowers, fake sweets and other great decoration pieces.



My experiences:
As I opened my first package of Modena I was pretty surprised, because the clay was not as soft as other air dry clays I used before. The consistency was more like polymer clay, but just a bit softer. My clay was also a bit crumbly, so I thought that the seller send me a dry package of Modena. Unfortunately, it happens often that one store sends me dry and crumbly clay.
I needed to soften it by kneading it with wet hands. After softening the clay, it's nice smooth and soft. It feels a bit like rubber and is also really similar to cold porcelain.
Because the surface is not very sticky, I needed to use glue to attach different pieces to each other. Also the surface dries really fast and it happens often that the dry peel got cracks while working with.

Modena picks up textures and details really well, so it's great to use it together with molds. But you should note, that the clay will shrink a bit (about 10% of the original volume) during the drying process.
After drying, the Modena pieces have a nice smooth surface and thin works are also lightly flexible. But the thicker the pieces, the less flexibile they are.
The Modena color packages won't change their colors very much while drying, but if you color the clay by yourself, the colors will become a bit darker.

Note 1: When your clay has crumbly and uneven edges when you pull some clay off, then it is too dry. An example you can see on the picture above. The clay should be stretchy and got smooth peaks when you pull some clay off.

Note 2: If your clay is already hard before(!) you open the plastic package, place the unopened package for about 40 minutes in warm water. The warm water will soften the clay.



How to color Modena clay:
The small Modena packages are indeed obtainable in different colors, but if you just want to buy a white package of Modena, you can color the clay by yourself. For coloring the clay you can use the following paints: acrylic paints, oil paints, watercolors, chalk pastels and markers.
Please note that the colors may change during the drying process! Also any color will work differently. For example with the chalk pastels you get a darker result as with the other paints. You can obtain really good pastel colors with markers.



My opinion:
In my opinion, Modena is a pretty good air dry clay to make flowers or fake sweets. But because of the fast drying process, it's maybe not really suitable for beginners, I guess.
It has a good quality and because of the durability after drying, it's perfect to make jewelry parts. Also I think, it's pretty great that the clay pieces are still a bit flexible after drying, so they are hard to break. But for me Modena is very similar to cold porcelain, so I don't use it often, because the cold porcelain is just cheaper.
Cold porcelain is not flexible after drying, but otherwise the masses are almost the same. The price is decisive for me, because I don't want to pay more money for a product, which is similar to a cheaper one. But though I can just recommend this clay! :)



What I make out of it:
Out of the Modena clay I make just things with smooth surfaces like flowers, candies, fruits and pastries with a shiny and even top.



Price:
The 250g packages will cost about 780yen-1,000yen (ca. 5,77€-7,40€)
The 60g packages cost about 280yen (ca. 2,07€)
The prices are excluding the shipping costs.

You can order it at the Padico online shop or you can also find it on other online shops like Etsy for example. But I think, it's cheaper if you buy it directly from Japan.



I hope, this review was helpful for you. If you have any questions or suggestions, leave a comment down below.

Here you can read, how to store air dry clays. *click*

1 Kommentar:

EVE - Wall-E